Educational Social Networking and K-12 Educational Technology

Educational Social Networking and K-12 Educational Technology

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Decisions, decisions, decisions...but never hasty

     I'm sure that some of my colleagues are certain that I have already pre-ordered an Ipad and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive on April 3.  Well, think again.  Although I must admit that I have been eyeing the device with interest and thinking about the educational-in-the-classroom possibilities, the Ipad really hasn't brought me to my knees and responding like one of Pavlov's dogs.  Quite the opposite in fact.  As soon as I saw the leaks on the internet, I began a search for similar products and found these as contenders.  Now, I do admit that when it comes to "shiny" new technologies I can flutter around like the best of them. But in reality, I tend to weigh heavily on the pros and cons.  This goes for both my personal gadgets and the devices I use in class.  My Droid phone is one example (purchased 12/09):  I held out buying an Iphone all this time.  I'm a Mac user but when the Iphone went from being a trendy device to a ubiquitous one, well then the underdog attraction of Mac lost some of its appeal.  So Droid it was and I love it, but not after doing extensive research and of course waiting for my phone provider to give me some sort of discount.  The interactive whiteboard in my classroom is another example.  That device was purchased last year, the technology has been around for some four to six years,, right?  I had to go to conferences, see it in action, ponder on its applications in my classroom with my style of teaching and in the end, yes, I wrote a proposal for one and it got approved.  Some at my school have only heard of my IWB, never having seen it with their own eyes, like some urban legend.  I use it extensively (as do the students) from everything basic (fill-in) to manipulating data to show multiple possible outcomes.
    But back to the Ipad.  The pre-order version is only for wi-fi - red flag.  A lot of us in educational institutions know what a challenge that can be to work with in the classroom.  The later versions will offer wi-fi and 3G.  I'm good with the 3G (don't know how happy IT would be - it's a control thing), but we are fast approaching 4G.  Another reason I'm holding off is that I tend to prefer to incorporate the use of the technology on a personal level first, that is, a level where I feel comfortable and with a certain level of knowledge in its use.  I'm not the type to haul in a classroom set of Ipads and then wonder where's the on/off button with fifteen pairs of eyes looking on.  Finally, perhaps the real reason I'd hold off on an Ipad is that Microsoft has plans to come out with its own tablet device, the Courier.  Now, after looking at the videos and reading the articles, yes, Pavlov has rung the bell.  I think I'm drawn to it because of its Franklin Day Planner qualities of which my generation has fond memories (I had attended the workshop and my Classic One-Page-Per-Day planner never left my side).  That product isn't due out until later this year, plenty of time to do the research, make the comparisons, and find a way to get it into the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. The key is never hasty! I trust that you are doing the research and can make recommendations to educators about the Ipad.

    ReplyDelete